Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Big Sisters

I've decided it's about time I looked into some volunteer organizations I've wanted to get involved with for years.

One of them, Big Sisters, is an organization that pairs up girls (ages seven to 17) from single-parent homes with a woman who will spend time with her as a mentor and a buddy. I've been thinking it would be really fun to hang out with a kid once a week and get more involved in the community. Also, it's the Big Sisters' 50th anniversary in the Lower Mainland this year, so it seems like a good time to finally sign up.

Seems pretty easy to get involved. All you have to do is:
1. Fill out the application online and send it in.
2. Get a criminal record check done at your local police station (usually free for volunteers)
3. Have an interview with a counsellor
4. Attend a training session

Qualifications include:
1. Age 19 or older
2. Resident of Canada
3. Maturity, reliability, and interest in spending three to five hours a week with a young girl for at least a year

Considering the list of cool activities the Big Sisters website lists as suggested things to do together, I think this might be filed under "volunteer position for those who just want to have fun."

I've perused the Big Sisters website and I checked out an info session a couple of years ago, actually. Now it seems I just have to confirm where I'm going to be for the next year and then I can send in my application.

No comments:

Post a Comment