Thursday, September 8, 2011

Personal Training

Running up a hill past a group of fairly overweight folks this afternoon, I overheard a woman among them with a thick Dutch accent remark as she turned to watch me pass, "Uphill... My God!"

It was a hot late summer afternoon, yes, and it was uphill, sure, but it wasn't until I heard that comment that I truly felt like a superstar. Sometimes people will say things that give you rocket fuel for the final lap, without them even intending it to be so motivating. So a shout out to my new Dutch fan. Thanks, lady.

Today I also signed up for some weekly personal training at Innovative Fitness in Port Moody. My first session will be tomorrow and every Friday after that till race day. I need to work on core strength, flexibility and overall conditioning. I'm hoping with the cross-training at the gym I'll be able to run faster and with better form, thereby getting a good time and, more importantly, avoiding an injury. My hip flexors have been strained the last couple of long weekend runs, so I it's time to bring in the pros for some expert advice. Plus, it's just cool to be able to say I have a personal trainer. "Yeah, sorry, but I'm going to have to cut our coffee date short... I have to go see my personal trainer to shred my quads and whale on my abs. At the gym. With my personal trainer."

No comments:

Post a Comment